Gateway is designed to enable schools to provide senior students with the opportunity to access structured workplace learning and helps with the students transition from school into the workplace.Gateway training can lead into higher-level qualifications like apprenticeships or diplomas, within the industry.
- Learn practical industry skills and gain industry knowledge
- Gain credits that contribute to NCEA
- Have industry Unit Standards added to their record of learning
- Gain Unit Standards that can go towards a range of national qualifications
- Learn about the range of jobs available
- Develop first hand knowledge of what it is really like to work in the industry
- Gain useful experience in the workplace which will help them to find a job
- Become confident about entering the workforce through better knowledge of the requirements and expectations of workplaces
- Be able to make a more informed choice about tertiary study.
Gateway students have been placed in all six areas of the vocational pathways including industries such as hospitality, automotive, agriculture and horticulture, tourism, engineering, childcare, hairdressing and building.