School History

Ruawai College in its (almost) current form has stood on the present site for the last 50 years, but the history of schoolsin the area of Ruawai began over 120 years ago when Naumai School was built in 1893 with the first teacher РCharlie Brockliss Рand around 20 children. Six years later a new school was built on the current primary school site.
Ruawai District High School opened its doors in 1929 and flourished until 1964 when it was split into two schools – Ruawai College became the senior school.

There have been three major reunions over the years and our library contains many archived papers and books on the history of the various schools.